The following validated tools are most appropriate for routine dementia screening in general practice. They take less than five minutes to perform. These tools are:
- General Practitioner Assessment of Cognition (GPCOG)
- Memory Impairment Screen (MIS)
- Mini Cog
See links below to online versions of these tools and to printable PDF versions.
Other available tools include
- MOCA (Montreal Cognitive Assessment)
- MOCA is another good test but it is lengthy and so may be difficult to use within the confines of a general practice consultation.
- MMSE (Mini Mental State Exam)
- The MMSE is has copyright limitations. The test itself is lengthy and has cultural and educational bias.