Below is a summary of training and eduational resources and opportunities that have been developed by PREPARED and its partners, along with other dementia training websites and resources. Please use the drop down menu for more information about individual educational initiatives.
PREPARED EDUCATION AND RESOURCES
PREPARED UCC Postgraduate CPD Module in Dementia in Primary Care
- The Department of General Practice at UCC has launched a blended learning postgraduate CPD accredited module in dementia for GPs. The course is run online over 12 weeks, and is accompanied by 2 onsite study days at UCC, Cork. The first cohort of 19 GPs completed the course in 2017, and a further 19 GPs will will be undertaking this blended learning course in September 2018. To register an interest for the September 2019 intake, please contact the PREPARED team.
PREPARED dementia workshops for GPs
- Two 1-hour or one 2-hour CPD-accredited dementia workshops for GPs. These workshops will be delivered in your practice at a time that is convenient to you by a local GP facilitator who has an interest in dementia care. The workshops are accredited for CPD points and GMS study leave.
- One workshop focuses on diagnosis and post diagnostic care, and the other on the management of the behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia.
- We are actively recruiting practices and GPs who wish to avail of this training. If you are interested in scheduling workshops to be provided at your practice or want further details and information about the workshops, please contact the dementia PREPARED team at UCC.
PREPARED PCT and primary care staff workshops - Dementia Care in Primary Care: An Interprofessional Approach
- This is a 3 hour accredited dementia workshop which will be run locally to small groups of PCT and primary care health care professionals across Ireland during 2017 and 2018. The resources include a fully referenced facilitator's guide to running the workshop and a Powerpoint© presentation containing clinical information, case studies and team exercises. Workshops are being run through a number of Nursing and Midwifery Education Centres around the country. If you are interested in running a workshop locally, or attending a workshop, please contact the PREPARED team, or the HSE National Dementia Strategy Office on firstname.lastname@example.org.
PREPARED/ICGP GP dementia e-learning modules.
- A comprehensive dementia e-learning module containing 10 lessons and accredited for 10 internal and 2 external CPD points for GPs is available on the ICGP website.
COMING SOON! PREPARED dementia educational resources for primary care based professional groups (e.g. PHNs, SALTs, Physios, OTs, and more!)
- The PREPARED team are working with a number of interested health care professionals in primary care to develop web based educational resources for individual professional groups on the management of dementia in primary care. These will consist of case-based learning materials, useful reading and clinical information based on discipline-specific skills and knowledge and will be available for self-directed learning and for use in professional educational meetings.
OTHER DEMENTIA EDUCATION AND RESOURCES
Dementia Elevator Project, DCU
- Dementia Elevator is an education and empowerment programme developed by DCU and the HSE (with the support of Atlantic Philanthropies) to help individuals, communities and health systems engage appropriately with people with dementia.
- Dementia Elevator aims to give people skills they need to support ageing in place for people with dementia, challenge the way society thinks about dementia, and provide opportunities for people with dementia to move up to the next level of education and skill.
Dementia Services Information and Development Centre
- DSIDC is a National Centre for excellence in dementia and is committed to best practice in all aspects of dementia care, and are a well established dementia-specific training and education service in Ireland.
- DSIDC promotes an awareness of dementia by providing education and training to health care practitioners which enable participants to increase knowledge and skills and develop attitudes which enhance their ability to provide the best possible care.
Dementia Understand Together
- Understand Together is a public support, awareness and information campaign led by HSE, working with The Alzheimer Society of Ireland and Genio campaign. The website has a range of information on training, supports and services and other dementia related information.