Below is a summary of training and eduational resources and opportunities that have been developed by PREPARED and its partners, along with other dementia training websites and resources. Please use the drop down menu for more information about individual educational initiatives.
PREPARED EDUCATION AND RESOURCES
PREPARED UCC Postgraduate CPD Module in Dementia in Primary Care
- The Department of General Practice at UCC has launched a blended learning postgraduate CPD accredited module in dementia for GPs. The course is run online over 12 weeks, and is accompanied by 2 onsite study days at UCC, Cork. Two cohorts of GP students have completed the course in 2017 and 2018. To register an interest for the September 2019 intake, please go to the UCC graduate studies website.
PREPARED dementia workshops for GPs
- Two 1-hour/one 2-hour CPD-accredited dementia workshops for GPs were developed by PREPARED and were delivered to GPs across Ireland by GP faciliators in peer-led small group sessions between 2016 - 2019. The workshops were accredited and were run over 90 times in practice-based and CME small group sessions around the country. The workshops were also taken up in some local ICGP CME small group learning groups and the training resources to run the PREPARED dementia sessions are available to anyone interested on this site.
PREPARED PCT and primary care staff workshops - Dementia Care in Primary Care: An Interprofessional Approach
- This is a 3 hour accredited dementia workshop which was developed by PREPARED and is being run locally to small groups of PCT and primary care health care professionals across Ireland,mostly via the NMECs (Nursing and Midwifery Education Centres). If you are interested in running a workshop locally, or attending a workshop, please contact the PREPARED team, or the HSE National Dementia Strategy Office on firstname.lastname@example.org.
PREPARED/ICGP GP dementia e-learning modules.
- A comprehensive dementia e-learning module containing 10 lessons and accredited for 10 internal and 2 external CPD points for GPs is available on the ICGP website and the IPNA website for subscribers.
OTHER DEMENTIA EDUCATION AND RESOURCES
Dementia Elevator Project, DCU
- Dementia Elevator is an education and empowerment programme developed by DCU and the HSE (with the support of Atlantic Philanthropies) to help individuals, communities and health systems engage appropriately with people with dementia.
- Dementia Elevator aims to give people skills they need to support ageing in place for people with dementia, challenge the way society thinks about dementia, and provide opportunities for people with dementia to move up to the next level of education and skill.
Dementia Services Information and Development Centre
- DSIDC is a National Centre for excellence in dementia and is committed to best practice in all aspects of dementia care, and are a well established dementia-specific training and education service in Ireland.
- DSIDC promotes an awareness of dementia by providing education and training to health care practitioners which enable participants to increase knowledge and skills and develop attitudes which enhance their ability to provide the best possible care.
- DSIDC, with the HSE National Dementia Office and the PREPARED team, will be developing online learning resources for a range of AHPs in 2019.
Dementia Understand Together
- Understand Together is a public support, awareness and information campaign led by HSE, working with The Alzheimer Society of Ireland and Genio campaign. The website has a range of information on training, supports and services and other dementia related information.