For staff working in primary care, the PREPARED project and the HSE National Dementia Office are organising a series of FREE 3-hour dementia workshops around the country.
The content for the workshop covers five key areas:
- Knowledge of dementia
- Understanding roles and responsibilities
- Team functioning and collaboration
- Inter-professional communication skills
- Supporting the person with dementia and their family
The workshop is accredited by the Irish Nursing and Midwifery Board for 3 CEUs.
The workshop content was developed by Anne Quinn (Advanced Nurse Practitioner in Dementia) and the PREPARED team, with clinical input from other community health specialists, GPs, and the HSE.
In 2016/2017, we ran a number of workshops across the country for groups of primary care staff in the following locations:
- 2nd December 2016 - Kinsale Primary Care Centre, Cork
- 18th January 2017 - St Patrick's Hospital, Cashel
- 16th February 2017, Blackrock Primary Care Centre, Cork
- 19th September 2017 - Kilbarrack Primary Care Team, Dublin
- 4th October 2017 - Killarney Community Hospital
- 13th November 2017 pm - Maynooth Health Centre
- 14th November 2017 pm - Wicklow Town Health Centre
- 27th November 2017 am - Castlebar Primary Care Centre, Mayo
- 28th November 2017 am - Ballyshannon Health Campus, Donegal
- 12th December pm - Tyone Health Centre, Nenagh, Tipperary
- 13th December 2017 pm - Cluain Lir Care Centre, Mullingar, Westmeath
In 2018, the HSE will be coordinating a number of train the trainer sessions in conjunction with Centres for Nursing and Midwifery Education (CNMEs) in various venues around the country to upskill staff to provide the PCT interdisciplinary workshops in their areas. These sessions will be for experienced clinicians working in primary care who have an interest in dementia and in the provision of education to primary care staff. Sessions have already taken place in Castlebar, Tullamore, Letterkenny, Cork and Dublin. It is anticipated that staff trained will be in a position to roll out the 3-hour dementia workshops in their area during 2018 through the local CNMEs.
If you want any more information about the 3-hour dementia workshops, then please get in touch with your local CNME to see if they are involved in running the courses, or contact Anna de Siun, Senior Project Manager at the HSE national dementia office email@example.com