In late 2019, the National Dementia Office ran a competition for acute hospitals to improve their care of people living with dementia.
The grant call details are below.
To view the successful hospitals and a summary of their project click on the image below.
Beaumont Hospital - ED Supporting People with Dementia
Beaumont Hospital - Banks Ward Project
Beaumont ED - Dementia Friendly Signage
Beaumont Hospital - Delirium and Hospitalisation
Beaumont Hospital - The Sheehan Unit
Kerry University Hospital
Louth County Hospital
Mallow General Hospital
Mullingar Regional Hospital
Naas General Hospital
Portiuncula University Hospital
Sligo General Hospital
St Columcilles Hospital
St Lukes Hospital
South Tipperary General Hospital
St James Hospital
St Vincents Hospital
University Hospital Galway
Wexford General Hospital
The following is a summary of reported progress as of early 2021.
Acute hospital dementia QI projects interim reports
2020-2021 has been a challenging period for acute hospital staff due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as many staff were redeployed, all staff were busy, and most proposed refurbishments were delayed. However, despite these challenges, 19 of the 21 acute hospital dementia QI projects have proceeded. Some of the progress achieved to date includes:
- Baseline environmental audits have been completed and many sites have progressed with dementia-inclusive painting and signage improvements
- Equipment to increase independence has been installed, such as handrails, appropriate chairs, etc.
- Dementia quality improvement teams have convened, and dementia leaders and champions have been identified
- Staff training in delirium and dementia care has been delivered in many sites
- Resources to support meaningful activity have been installed, such as activity boxes
The dedication and resilience of all involved in the dementia QI projects is to be commended. Indeed, some sites have increased their plans and scope due to the emerging issues of providing quality dementia care during the COVID-19 pandemic, while others have leveraged donations and other grants to increase their scope of change.
A summary of the final reports from each site will be available in early 2022.
The following links may be helpful for any hospital considering quality improvement in the area of dementia care