Overview and information on training opportunities and educational resources for GPs and Primary Care Team members interested in upskilling in Dementia.
Below is a summary of training and educational resources along with further information on dementia training.
EDUCATION AND RESOURCES
GP Dementia Workshops
- Two 1-hour/one 2-hour CPD-accredited dementia workshops for GPs were developed and were delivered to GPs across Ireland by GP facilitators in peer-led small group sessions between 2016 - 2019. The workshops were accredited and were run over 90 times in practice-based and CME small group sessions around the country. The workshops were also taken up in some local ICGP CME small group learning groups and the training resources to run the dementia sessions are available to anyone interested, on this site.
PCT and Primary Care Staff Workshops- Dementia Care in Primary Care: An Interprofessional Approach
- This is a 3 hour accredited dementia workshop which was developed and is being run locally to small groups of PCT and primary care health care professionals across Ireland,mostly via the CNME's (Centre for Nursing and Midwifery Education). If you are interested in running a workshop locally, or attending a workshop, please contact the HSE National Dementia Office. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
ICGP GP dementia e-learning modules.
- A comprehensive dementia e-learning module containing 10 lessons and accredited for 10 internal and 2 external CPD points for GPs is available on the ICGP website and the IPNA website for subscribers.
OTHER DEMENTIA EDUCATION AND RESOURCES
Dementia Elevator Project, DCU
- Dementia Elevator is an education and empowerment programme developed by DCU and the HSE (with the support of Atlantic Philanthropies) to help individuals, communities and health systems engage appropriately with people with dementia.
- Dementia Elevator aims to give people skills they need to support ageing in place for people with dementia, challenge the way society thinks about dementia, and provide opportunities for people with dementia to move up to the next level of education and skill.
Dementia Services Information and Development Centre
- DSIDC is a National Centre for excellence in dementia and is committed to best practice in all aspects of dementia care, and are a well established dementia-specific training and education service in Ireland.
- DSIDC promotes an awareness of dementia by providing education and training to health care practitioners which enable participants to increase knowledge and skills and develop attitudes which enhance their ability to provide the best possible care.
- DSIDC, with the HSE National Dementia Office will be developing online learning resources for a range of AHPs in 2020.
- Understand Together is a public support, awareness and information campaign led by HSE, working with The Alzheimer Society of Ireland and Genio campaign. The website has a range of information on training, supports and services and other dementia-related information.