Montessori Education for Dementia
Note: ONLINE FOR ONE SEMESTER (due to COVID-19 restrictions)
This 6 month online programme & standalone workshop explores the groundbreaking study and practice of the Montessori methodology in home and health care settings. Students in this programme will be able to implement a simple tool for helping people with cognitive impairment participate in meaningful conversations and so much more.
Who is this programme suitable for?
This Level 6 Certificate is for healthcare workers and Montessori educators, school leavers, graduates of QQI level 5 and 6 education and healthcare programmes, mature entrants international students and graduates changing career direction, all of whom have a desire to apply Montessori philosophy to ageing and dementia in order to improve outcomes for elders living with cognitive impairment.
There is no entry requirements for those who are interested in attending.
During this programme you will:
- Discover a powerful approach to dementia care that will totally change your perspective on ageing and dementia
- Learn the first thing you should do to create a sense of community between staff and residents
- See how an engaging life enrichment programme transforms the culture of a long-term care centre and ultimately frees up staff time dramatically
- Learn the process for changing a ho-hum activity program into a dynamic and engaging person-centred programme that keeps people interested and has them coming back for more
- Be able to implement a simple tool for helping people with cognitive impairment participate in meaningful conversations
- Identify the mistakes almost everyone unknowingly makes in wayfinding and signage, leading to confusion and discord – and find out how to correct them
- Develop the skills to effectively communicate with people with dementia, so they easily understand what you are trying to convey
ONLINE FOR ONE SEMESTER (due to COVID-19 restrictions)
The first workshop will take place on 3 February 2022."
Mode of Delivery:
This is a blended learning programme that runs for 6 months. Participants study via online learning by participating in LIVE online lectures for one hour twice a week and attend 3-weekend workshops held on a Friday and Saturday at the SNMCI campus in Dun Laoghaire. Participants will also need to engage in a placement module in a relevant health care setting – this can include a home care setting. Placement involves practice interactions with two older adults for 1-2 hours per week for 12 weeks, beginning in the second half of the semester. Placement arrangements may change as a result of COVID-19.
Programme's schedule for 2021-2022 here.
YouTube video on dementia care